# Mind Candy

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

"women who love too much & the interfaces that ignore them"

I'm feeling dull and thick today, like half my blood has been replaced by sugar-free molasses. It's kind of like watching Jerry Springer after eating a tube of toothpaste.

I've got an entry in my /etc/rc.conf file that reads:
ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.1.9 netmask 255.255.255.0"

It's almost the same as its counterpart, ifconfig_fxp0--one number and two letters difference, in fact. There don't appear to be typos, and I have Known Good hardware installed on the box.

So why can't I see xl0 when I do an ifconfig? Why does it tell me "ifconfig: interface xl0 does not exist"?

Added "network_interfaces="fxp0 xl0 lo0" to my /etc/rc.conf, to no avail. I've added a line to /etc/defaults/rc.conf that says: 'ifconfig _xl0="inet 192.168.1.9"' and rebooted my machine. Checked /dev/net and did not see an xl0.

I'm looking at this sort of thing under uname -a:
"FreeBSD toybox.company.com 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri jan 12 10:40:27 UTC 2007 root@dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

"ifconfig xl0 create" also does not seem to work. The error message ends up being "ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid arguement". I wonder what's wrong...did I just not read the manual closely enough? Does the same action taken in 6.0 not work in 6.2?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home